Dr Andrew West is an Environmental scientist and Marine biologist currently living in Kailua Kona, Hawaii. Andrew spent much of his life growing up in Sth Africa, Australia and Hawaii where he finished his secondary schooling. He and his wife (Jane) are enjoying raising their two young sons.
Andrew started his career working as a deck hand on a professional shark fishing/ research boat in Hawaii, which targeted large tiger sharks. Experiences in this piqued his interest in wild animals that influenced him to pursue higher studies in zoology and marine biology.
Andrew has spent most of his adult life in scientific research, making nature documentaries as an interest. He now uses these research skills to investigate fascinating aspects of wildlife for television broadcast. Andrew still continues in joint project research assignments with various Universities and Government agencies. He has earned the reputation as the "Go to guy" for challenging field assignments.
His other interests include fishing, diving, nature videography, surfing, and fitness.
Andrew is the founder of the Pacific Ecology Laboratory LLC based in Kona Hawaii, in which he directs both feral animal control projects, and environmental monitoring studies. In one golf course alone in Hawaii Andrew has captured and relocated live 1500 wild pigs. Most of which are delivered to farms or families in need.
Andrew’s relevant qualifications are as follows:
- Bachelor of Science, University of Wollongong, Australia (major Biology)
- Bachelor of Science with honors, University of Tasmania (Zoology)
- Master of Science, University of Queensland (Marine biology)
- Ph.D University of Technology, Sydney (Environmental science).
- (Awarded Australian Government Post-graduate award scholarship)
Andrew’s recent work history:
- Contract scientist, University of Hawaii/ JIMAR Blue marlin/ shark grant
- Freelance biologist contracting for: Oceanic Institute, HI; Monterey Bay Aquarium, Waikiki Aquarium, UH swordfish research program
- Collaborating scientist with Nation Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA),
- Documentary film making with the Discovery Channel (Host of Hogs Gone Wild, and Beast Tracker), National Geographic, BBC, ABC Australia